North Shore InnoVentures kicked off their first "Entrepreneur U" Wednesday morning at the Cleantech InnoVenture Center in Lynn. Speakers Nicola Lemay (below) and Bob Warren of Foley Hoag presented "Avoiding Legal and Tax Mistakes" to an audience of entrepreneurs, consultants, and NSIV sponsors and volunteers.
Lemay and Warren provided solutions to a variety of preventable but undoable mistakes that many entrepreneurs make in start-up companies. Common mistakes include:•careless selection of team and advisors
• failure to establish clear relationships among founders
• not carefully selecting a form of entity to use
• not organizing entity early on
• not being aware of wage and hour laws when hiring new employees
• disorganized capital raising strategy
The next Entrepreneur U will take place at the Cleantech InnoVenture Center on August 17 and will focus on smart marketing techniques for start-ups. Stay tuned for more information!